13 March 2006

A bit on sight


Perhaps part of the problem is seeing things through the eyes of others. There are psychologists who believe there is no other way of seeing. They would say that everything we think is filtered through how we think others would experience it. Some see the eye as an apparatus capable of perceiving a vast array of the spectrum, but that we are able to see very little because of preconceived notions. Our eyes are limited by our expectations.

I found a lot of my day driven by the eyes of others. If I were to do this, I would be in good graces with this person, or if I were to do that they would see me as this. In daily devotions I think I do this as well. To expect based on what others I admire might expect or to try to do tricksy, cool things because so-and-so would really see that as edgy. I don't know that this is anymore or less a part of my life than others. It may even be how we are partially wired. How does an infant learn from literal nothingness to adulthood and the full nuances of life without this kind of disposition? Perhaps in this way, trust precedes language.

But I admire those who might be marching to a different beat. Not out of pretentiousness or cool factor, but because they have the capacity and courage to walk through the bounds of conventional wisdom or perception. I think this is one of the lessons of Jesus. Not that it's salvation material, but part of life to the full.

May the Lord grant you eyes that are in whole relation to the rest of the body. Clean, fresh, good eyes. Eyes that don't corrupt the heart or pain those around you. May a narrative in holy scripture release a flame that you never saw coming; that changes the way you see everything...

2 Comments:

Blogger Seeker said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Tuesday, March 14, 2006 at 6:08:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger Seeker said...

Praise God. I never thought of the body doing as the eye preceived what others desire or expect of the person. May we ALL believe that God has created us for SO MUCH MORE. And may we walk in His wonderful creation.
May the Lord bless and keep you, And may His face shine upon you, And be gracious to you...and give you PEACE.

Tuesday, March 14, 2006 at 6:14:00 AM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home