12 March 2006

Communion and panentheism

Friday evening I didn't perform the Daily Office because I wanted God to speak differently, more dynamically. In essence, I didn't want the component of faith that requires risk, that requires strain, to be part of the equation, and I lamented that there was no way of "breaking the rules." That's just how spiritual matters with the Lord work.

But yesterday, it occurred to me that God can provide ecstatic moments that are outside of the "rules." The mystics knew this, even Paul Tillich speaks of it, and yet I had pulled it out of the realm of spiritual repertoire. Moses and Jacob had close encounters as did Brother Lawrence. I then read Marcus Borg's introduction to the book A Prayer Book for the 21st Century in which he sets up panentheism (not pantheism) as an alternative to "supernatural theism." In the end he sees them as somewhat complementary (panentheism offers less in terms of language for worship, so in this supernatural theism plays a part, but supernatural theism can be dangerous because it makes God out to be a being in expressions we understand which is fundamentally a misunderstanding).

Borg's starting point for panentheism is trouble with God's intervention. How does one understand a God who sometimes intervenes and sometimes not? The idea is not developed much in this short introduction, but in panentheism, God is above all, but also in all. So for Borg, it sounds like reconstituted where one is looking for the intervention or maybe the whole thought of intervention by knowing that God is within creation changes everything. It would have been nice if a gave a little meat.

This week closes the Daily Office for my class. So, last night I chose to do the holy communion liturgy. It was moving, though a little odd using a can of grape juice and a wasabi rice wafer. It too had panentheistic overtones. In 21st century flare, I then watched the latest Nooma video, Rhythm. In it Rob Bell introduces the concept that "everyone has the music playing in them, it's just a matter of whether they are in-tune that's the issue," by almost stated Borg's panentheism words verbatim. At least it sounded verbatim at the time. Unfortunately, neither Bell nor Borg really gets beyond the idea that selective intervention by God seems unfair. But what an interesting day.

4 Comments:

Blogger Seeker said...

I am trying to understand what you might be learning, but I do not know what panentheism is? I like your picture, and I hope that you next weeks are amazing and the Lord gives you many wonderful and powerful experiences. Keep focusing on Him and seek Him; through reading books, speaking with friends, HIKING, and anything that will cultivate community and unity in Christ.

Sunday, March 12, 2006 at 1:14:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger friend said...

What do you think about Beer and Pretzels as communion - a modern translation of the last supper? I asked someone else and they thought I was joking.

Monday, March 13, 2006 at 1:11:00 AM GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eric is talking about using mini loaves of sour dough bread in a communion service he will officiate soon.

I think beer and pretzels would be interesting. Maybe really cool except for the alcoholics and 70% of the church with a public conviction that its "evil."

It seems to me that the original elements of the Lord's Table had an interesting interplay between everyday and cosmic. The wine having this symbolism of health and vitality, and providing a known quality for thirst rather than water which was suspicious, often unclean or would go bad in cisterns (sp?), etc. It was also everyday and needed for sustinance. The bread connects to the Passover and everydayness; sustinance. I don't know that our culture has a similar richness in food symbols, but it would be cool to find out. I remember reading how Guiness was started as a Christian ideal to help add iron to the locals' blood in a culturally accepted way.

Perhaps beer representing good times, entertainment from a hard day's work, etc. could be used in similar fashion to wine/grape juice.

In some churches they actually have the whole mean symbolize communion. It becomes the focal element of conversation and community. I thought that might be cool too.

Monday, March 13, 2006 at 5:30:00 PM GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,
I am a musician who has been heavily influenced by Keith Green. I would be honored if you would check out my music. All music on my site is free for download.

I don't mean to be a pest, so if this message is an annoyance, please delete it and accept my humblest of apologies. I just want to share my music with people who love Jesus.

Thanks,
-Sean
______________
www.SeanDietrich.com
"All my music is free."

Tuesday, July 11, 2006 at 8:45:00 PM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home