09 March 2006

Planning, legalism, God-interjection

The last few days I've been struggling with the Daily Office. "Struggling," that is Christianese for blowing-off/not doing, and yet feeling sufficiently bad about it. It's been easy blaming the paper due yesterday for consuming me. But the reality is that I own it. An aspect of the Daily Office that has been new is the component of planning. What songs will you sing, what scripture will you read, etc.? You know that some of the prayers coming up are for CEOs in the world and you can't recall one by name, so research a bit. I've lamented this in past blogs, but really it shows a lack of discipline on my part in general. I've slowly been getting back to using the Franklin-Covey principles for time management and find the same friction of having to plan.

Part of me hates to admit it, but daily devotions are necessary. Sure, let's call them legalistic, but I find that if I pull a bit from God in the daily devotions, other areas follow suit. Not that I completely disconnect, but I miss opportunities and find that my expectation of God being center of life is hazed in my mind.

Well, there is the mid-day Daily Office to jump on the wagon with!

My friend Eric has been doing the Lectino Davina (sp?) recently, which my little group did in class this week. It was a neat experience. I wasn't looking forward to moving away from the Daily Office to the more traditional Bible study quiet time, but this may be a neat place to be. I think back in my college days when we did inductive, deductive, and manuscript studies and this has brought a little more spring to my step.

1 Comments:

Blogger Seeker said...

Excellent! Now this is reality blogging. I finished Shane Hipps' book and loved it. Legalism is such a funny word with many different definitions, but I would say that daily devotions are a must; we make daily devotions with our bed, why not with God? I am in now way comparing God to a bed, but sipmly stating that we spend time to in bed, why not spend time to in God? It's all a process. A wise man once told me that life is like walk, sometimes your feet are planted, and sometimes you aren't on any feet. It's all about the rhythm and tuning of your song. Play that funky music white boy! Be good.

Thursday, March 9, 2006 at 9:51:00 AM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home