15 March 2006

Biology

"Late have I loved you,
O Beauty so ancient and so new.
Late have I loved you!

You were within me,
while I was outside of myself.
I was searching for you
in all the outward joys and beauties.
And all I found was loneliness."

This was the starting of the Augustine devotion this afternoon (didn't allocate enough time for this morning). I was really moved by it. How ironic that we look outside of ourselves in other things for joy. This is particularly difficult when the things are people. To submit our biology, those core elements that seem so meaningful is difficult. To give up treasure is easy compared to the love of a lifetime, the hope of children, even physical healing. It's the biology that touch us so deeply, spiritually and yet God is there and joy is more than a potential.