03 June 2006

Master's - walk through big spiritual events

So, I need to have a theme/plan for my Master's special project. It's a little weird not having one by now, but I guess you have to live where you are. I may put together a few entries as I go along that help to muse this out. Today, I purchased The Ruba'iyat of Omar Khyyam and Marxism and Christianity by MacIntyre. The Ruba'iyat was a book that brought back my first exposure Wittgensteinian language philosophy and Kierkegaard Existentialism. McIntyre is one of the philosophers that is particularly helpful for those in the Emergent Conversation. So this got me thinking about the events in my life that have shaped me spiritually. Everything in my life could fit on the list, but below are things that stand out. I guess the thinking is that this might help tease out something to spend the special project on:
  • Early life in Fundamentalist Christianity - strong Bible as Word emphasis
  • Mom's spiritual quest
  • Life changing, salvation experience
  • Full engagement in Evangelical Christianity
  • High school - tug to be pastor and in business; saw as mutually exclusive and unreconcilable
  • InterVarsity - exposure to charismatic movement, exorcism ministry, healing of memories, confrontation on theology of women in ministry, exposure to intense mission expressions, exposure to spiritual warfare, exposure to worship (not just in song), etc.
  • College - exposure to Philosophy as a tool to express God in fresh language and conceptualize him differently; good liberal arts education and some undercutting of Fundamentalism; new humility for faith and stronger love for Jesus
  • Bank internships - found giftings that worked well in business, but unfulfilled
  • Church internship - found similar giftings that were good in business were good at church; exposed to dark side of Pentecostalism and authoritarian leadership; engagement disintegrated; stripped deeply
  • Church plant - learned a lot about servanthood, but had bad attitude; never lived potential, but church grew; was obsessed with isolation and loneliness and never quite pulled out of nose dive; found I was not as attracted to associate pastorate as I originally thought
  • Chief technology officer - out of the church plant season developed the roots to my technology career; found that I loved organizational culture and being able to find solutions and help shape culture through technology; given taste of leadership as well as engineering, but was not able to gain traction
  • Chief information officer - moved to CT; job started highly engineering and crumbled to pieces because of leadership deficiencies as well as unhealthy staff; have begun rebuilding and a refocus on leadership and people has emerged; all probably part of God's plan, but one hell of a ride; sometimes feels like tail spin and cresting at the same time
  • Master's - exposure to liberal theologies and interfaith dialog through Hartford Seminary; chipping at some fundamental elements of faith, but strengthening in others that are more core; challenged in belief, but also given much to provide new and better perspectives; explored Paul Tillich and universal revelation; influenced by Tony Campolo; continued themes of Wittenstien and Existentialism; exposed to Emergent Conversation which gave a little more form to voice that has been evolving since high school and looking for truthful expression
  • Church planting, part two - not sure what this means; may culminate some of the Emergent stuff; the mother church is classic charismatic and may feel threatened with theological concerns/differences; ability to re-due screw ups from NLC?; exciting communal feel that includes buying a duplex with friends serious of integrating faith and all of life

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I often come and peruse your site and often there are posts that I can relate to, that will spur me on, encourage me or give me things I need to look deeper into.

This is one of them, a time of reflection...I will keep you in prayer as the Lord directs your steps with the purchase of your home, expands your mind to learn all that He has placed before you and your contentment as you wait on Him for that special woman.

Thursday, June 8, 2006 at 9:40:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger Learner said...

Your prayers are greatly appreciated!

Saturday, June 10, 2006 at 8:09:00 AM GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your are Nice. And so is your site! Maybe you need some more pictures. Will return in the near future.
»

Sunday, June 11, 2006 at 9:50:00 PM GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm I love the idea behind this website, very unique.
»

Friday, July 21, 2006 at 2:27:00 AM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home