25 March 2006

Meekness and V

I'm enthralled with V for Vendetta. It's the first movie I can recall seeing twice in a weekend. I won't ruin the plot, but there is an allusion to The Passion of the Christ and there are some amazing metaphors. I found myself moved a number of times at a ton of different levels. It's got this interesting quarkiness that runs through it as well. I've thought Natalie Portman had an outstanding presence since I first saw her in Beautiful Girls. Garden State was another that showed this old-soul-innocence quality.

I thought about the character "V" in relation to meekness; actually spent a lot of time dwelling on this in light of the Beautitude from this morning. Does meekness infer restraint or more of a downtrodden quality? Is there any respect that V is meek? Perhaps in a parallel thought, it occurred to me that I was equating "inherit the earth" as "conquer the earth." I suppose this imagery comes because I don't think those in power will willingly give up their power-brokered position so that the meek can inherit it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Seeker said...

You make a good question; how are the meek going to inherit the earth? I must say that I am moved by your enthusiasm and wonderful words. Be good!

Saturday, March 25, 2006 at 10:15:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Seeker said...

Excellent movie. Excellent symbolism. It really made me think about the future, but at the same time I was thinking about the present.

Monday, March 27, 2006 at 5:54:00 AM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home