22 March 2006

The experiential and the study

In class last night someone mentioned how the Daily Office is more of a prayer and puts you in a different place than a typical Evangelical quiet time Bible study. I think this is accurate. I found myself wanting something more experiential than reading a chapter or some other arbitrary length of scripture. The Lectio Divina provides this. Unfortunately, if a more traditional Bible study doesn't take place, you are kind of left without context or big-picture perspectives.

One of the disappointments I've had in transitioning to the Lectio Divina and Augustine daily readings has been a lack of outward focus. It is intimately a time with the Lord, but I find that my concern centers on me only as opposed to the love of other through prayer that I was experiencing more from the Daily Office. I think this is why meditating on the Beatutifudes clicks.

1 Comments:

Blogger Seeker said...

So then take some time to pray for others before you do your reading. Try to find a way to make these readings a way or form of experientialism.
I loved it when I did my study on the beatitudes. It was awesome to read through and meditate on them; I think I did it for three or four months.
Excellent stuff. Be good.

Thursday, March 23, 2006 at 6:07:00 AM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home