29 March 2006

Appetite

Today's Lectio Divina and Augustine reading meshed amazingly: "I approach food as I approach medicine" and "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied."

Augustine talks about a distinct line between eating for health and gluttony, but is deeply concerned that the soul can't find it. We often translate a want into a need and the soul likes the ambiguity. Interestingly, he leaves a little room at the end for grace in the line; maybe there are times when God allows a little indulgence because he love us? One can't spend too much in food just being utilitarian and vice versa food simply for pleasure is obesity and disease.

In both the Beautitude and Augustine, biology is mentioned. And not just any biology, but foundational. We get nowhere without food or drink. When I first read this Beautitude I thought, "Finally, one that requires no thought, it's straight forward, no-brainer, blah, blah, blah." But then I got this bad feeling, "Wait a minute, since when am I held accountable for my appetite?" I thought it was all about behavior; no matter what you want, only do good, only eat good, etc. But this is saying that it is the appetite for righteousness that leads to satisfaction.

Is this saying that temptation disqualifies satisfaction or is there a gap between thought and actualization and in this gap is where the hunger and thirsting are cultivated? My dad gave up salting food heavily when I was a kid. He said that over time you taste the natural flavors differently and that this becomes even better than the salting. Perhaps this type of process is what Jesus is calling us to toward satisfaction? I think of hunger and thirst as outside of my control, but that's not true. If I pace drinking water, I control the thirst or if I don't eat all day I directly control the hunger.

Or perhaps the reality is that if you live a righteous life, you will also live a metaphysically satisfying life?

1 Comments:

Blogger Seeker said...

Where is the line? What does the line look like? This is something that I struggle with as well.

Thursday, March 30, 2006 at 3:45:00 PM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home