03 July 2006

Dear Oma

I fax my grandmother to communicate with her. She is in a convalescent home across the country and unable to get to a phone. Her spirit and mind are well, but her body is in rapid decline. Like other writings, I've been remiss... I will fax her tonight.


Dear Oma,

Happy Fourth of July! It's probably hotter than a firecracker in good old Arizona. I'm sorry it has take so long to fax. I wish I had good excuses, but I feel bad that it has taken so long. How are you doing? I called Jeniece and the kids last night, but they are probably gone for the holiday weekend. I'm not sure I've talked to them for more than a minute or two since your birthday. A lot has happened since my last fax.

A couple of weeks ago my friend Eric and I went to Idaho. There was a church leadership conference on Christianity and postmodernity there which was fantastic. I don't know if I told you, but Eric, his wife Katie, and I will be starting a church in the town I work in. We are praying about how God will want to use it and putting together a plan. If you could pray for that, I would appreciate it. This conference in Idaho helped fuel a lot of neat ideas. We got to stay with my Uncle Morris and Aunt Ruth. They were so wonderful and hospitable! I don't know if you remember my Uncle Dale and Aunt Doris. Mom had a special connection with them and when she went there, that was where her and dad stayed. It was nice hearing stories of her before I was born - they loved her dearly. It is amazing how far a life can reach, and I find blessing in thinking about that when it comes to mom's life. This was a special trip for me because Aunt Doris is dying of cancer. I had been reluctant to go visit because I just wasn't sure I could handle it. To make a long story short, though she was in tremendous pain, she had the best attitude and demeanor. She was truly joyful. I thought somehow I could comfort her, but in reality she was ministering to me. She was recounting how Jesus had been so good to her, even in these last days. The trip ended on a sweet note, where her daughters took us to the northern part of Idaho to see many of places I used to go as a kid.

It really has been too long since I've written... Besides Idaho, I've also been working on getting a house. My friends Eric and Katie, and I are in the process of buying a side-by-side duplex. It's two stories with each side having separate a living room, kitchen, dining room, bathroom, bedrooms (2 each), utilities, and basement. It's a beautiful place built in the 1950's. It has hardwood floors in all the rooms except kitchen and bathroom and there is beautiful wood trim and windows everywhere. It's about 4 miles from work (right now I drive about 50 miles a day). Tomorrow we go around looking for appliances (the ones in it were in terrible shape and the owners hauled most of them away).

Kelley went to Paris this summer. She had a great time and got out of her shell a bit. She's a neat young woman. Well things didn't materialize with Sarah on the love-life front, but that's probably for the best since there's so much going on right now. Oh the bachelor life!

Well, I better get going. I love you and pray for you often! Blessings, Oma!


Love,

1 Comments:

Blogger Seeker said...

Wonderful words to a wonderful woman!

Wednesday, July 5, 2006 at 9:03:00 PM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home