03 April 2006

Purity as Jesus speaks

Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.

I wanted to get on the other side of "pure" and "shall." I wanted this verse to speak to a universal salvation of all humanity if they had this quality of pure. I wanted the shall to be translated into "immediately, without question." I wanted definition and distinction and lines.

Jesus doesn't offer boundary in that way. One person will probably read this verse and weep because the difficulties of life have provided a forum for purity and indeed they see God. Real. Another will read this as an affirmation that no one is good enough to see God. Who can truly be pure? And there is substantial hermeneutical grist to keep the theologian chomping along. But, in the end, Jesus is the logos. Blessing, purity, sight of God come from his mouth.

1 Comments:

Blogger Seeker said...

I love this verse. I always took it to me that if we were pure in seeking Christ then we would see God. But after reading your blog I think about the time before Christ, when He was speaking these words. Was He speaking to the future or to the present? Did He mean this to His disciples or to the multitude? Does this apply to Muslims, Jewish, and New Age? Who are the benefactors in this verse?

Monday, April 3, 2006 at 11:37:00 AM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home