10 October 2006

Roots and evil

What a startling statement, "The love of money is the root of all evil." How definitive. Want to know the start, impetus, origin of evil? It's the love of money. And we stop there. Maybe we correct people who go around saying, "Money is the root of all evil." Then we stop there.

Think about it. Rape, poverty, gluttony, murder, idolatry, manipulation, deceit, and the root of all evil is money. Fascinating.

In Perelandra, C.S. Lewis had me do a double take with this phrase. A re-look that swung my head around as I was strolling in full stride. What a beautiful thinker! He wonders if it's because money has the temptation and allure of keeping us from the tirade of chance, or allows us to think we can redo elements of life that really can't be lived again. I wondered if this love adds to our distances in life. Money as a concept, a lover, allows us to disconnect from land, animal, and a direct relationship of our hand/activity to the fruits of life. It introduces systems and complexity that defy nature.

But, still isn't it an odd statement if looked at from fresh eyes? I think I would have preferred if it was greed, theft, or selfishness that was the root. Love of money makes me have to think...

1 Comments:

Blogger Seeker said...

What does it look like to love money? How does that play out in our daily life? "I just need to pay the bills", is that the love of money? I spend time away from my family to make money, is that the love of money?

Wednesday, October 11, 2006 at 5:43:00 AM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home